Halloween is so much fun and the perfect opportunity to build an easy Halloween sensory bin to go with favorite books. Make learning letters and letter sounds fun when you pair it with a great book and a simple sensory bin. Sensory bins can serve many wonderful purposes from simple play and exploration to early learning, read here for more on our sensory bins and philosophy!
Alphabet Halloween Sensory Bin
Alphabet Halloween Sensory Bin Set Up
- large bin/container to hold everything
- filler: popping corn and black beans from the grocery store (list of non-food sensory fillers here)
- dollar store goodies like skeletons, ghosts, spiders, webbing, decorative box
- table scatter and colored gems
- letter tiles (borrowed our travel scrabble game tiles!)
- mini led lights
- mini black cauldrons or pots
- real mini pumpkin
- other objects from our ABCs of Halloween book including toad, dragon, and unicorn
- ABCs of Halloween by Patricia Reeder Eubank
Simply dump the filler and the goodies! Set out on a low table or floor for easy play. Worried about mess, throw a sheet underneath for quick cleanup!
Alphabet Sensory Bin Activities
How did we use our Halloween sensory bin? First, I always let him explore the contents as play as he likes to increase interest and meet tactile sensory needs. I then sat with him and we dug around together. I would randomly pull up letters or ask him to grab me a specific letter. He also chose to spell his name.
We read the book together and decided we needed to fetch additional items I had “forgotten” like a unicorn, a dragon, lizard, toad, etc. Finally, we gathered the items and found the letter tiles based on the sound of the first letter of the word. There are so many variations including spelling and using the book as a reference for word work!
I added a Witch hat for a bit of dress-up fun and of course part of the alphabet play!
Grab your favorite Halloween book! Make a Halloween Sensory Bin!
Read & Play Today! Looking For Halloween Counting/Math Sensory Bin?
Please join the Halloween Read & Play Blog Hop!
Check out all these wonderful Halloween Book & Play Activities from great bloggers!
- Pleasantest Thing- Goodnight Goon- Halloween Slime
- LalyMom- Five Little Pumpkins- Clothespin Activity
- Hand Made Kids Art- The Legend of Spooky the Square Pumpkin- Square Pumpkin Art
- Bambini Travel- Broom, Zoom- Night Sky Activity
- Chicken Babies- Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance- Monster Dancing and Eyeball Games
- Preschool Powol Packets- Room on the Broom- Croaking Frog Craft
- Adventures of Adam- Winnie the Witch- Multicolored Cat Project
- Cutting Tiny Bites- Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat- Sound Effects Box
- Cutting Tiny Bites- Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat- Halloween Shadow Garland
- Betsy’s Photography- Popcorn- Making Popcorn Bars
- Mama Smiles- Where is Baby’s Pumpkin?- Felt Board Activity and Coloring Pages
- Craft Ideas for Kids- Spider Sandwiches- Halloween Sensory Play: Monster Pizza Parlour
- One Time Through- Magic School Bus: Haunted Museum- Spooky Sound Experiments
- Bare Feet on the Dashboard- Curious George Goes to a Costume Party- Costumes and Pretend Play
- Where Imagination Grows- 5 Little Ghosts- Ghost Collages
- Fireflies and Mud Pies- Scary Scary Halloween- Halloween Necklace Craft
- Artsy Momma- Pippa the Pumpkin Fairy- Pumpkin Wand and Pumpkin Crafts
- Royal Baloo- AlphaOops- Halloween Letter Puppets
- Rubberboots and Elf Shoes- Skeleton Hiccups- Paper Chain Skeleton
- Mama Miss- Sheep Trick-or-Treat- Sheep Craft, Activity, and Snack
- Pink Stripey Socks- Scaredy-Cay Splat the Cat- Spider Costume
- Fun-A-Day!- Big Pumpkin- Sequencing Activity
- Line Upon Line Learning- The Spooky Old Tree- Prepositions Game
- Kitchen Floor Crafts- Pumpkin Eye- Halloween Sticky Collage
- Coffee Cups and Cratons- Spookley the Square Pumpkin- Glitter Pumpkin Sun Catchers
- Wise Owl Factory- Bunnicula and others- Halloween Book Fun Learning Round Up
- Planet Smarty Pants- The Picky Little Witch- Halloween Cupcakes
- Study at Home Mama- 10 Halloween Books and 50 Activities
- Our Kiwi Homeschool – Pumpkin Life Cycle Activities