STEM and seasons match perfectly with fun challenges that involve igloos, penguins, and ski jumps! If you are looking to keep the kids busy and give them something to work on during the school break or a stuck inside day, these printable winter STEM challenge cards are the solution! Get the kids away from the screens and encourage them to invent, design, and engineer their own winter wonderland. Simple STEM is perfect year round.
PRINTABLE WINTER STEM CHALLENGES FOR KIDS
Fun Winter STEM Activities!
Explore the changing seasons with STEM. These free winter theme STEM activities are perfect for engaging kids in science, technology, engineering, and math as they complete fun challenges!
You need easy ideas for the kids right?
I want these printable winter STEM activity cards to be a simple way to have fun with your kids. They can be used in the classroom as easily as they can be used at home. Print, cut, and laminate to use over and over again.
What do Winter STEM challenges look like?
STEM challenges are usually open-ended suggestions to solve a problem or challenge that is meant to get your kids thinking about and using the design process.
What’s the design process? I’m glad you asked! In many ways, it’s a series of steps an engineer, inventor, or scientist would go through when trying to solve a problem. Read more about that here.
How to set your kids up for winter STEM challenges
Mostly, you have the opportunity to use what you have and let your kids get creative with simple materials.
My pro tip is to grab a large, clean, and clear plastic tote or bin. Every time you come across a cool item you would normally toss into recycling, toss it in the bin instead. This goes the same for packaging materials and items you may otherwise throw away.
Standard STEM materials to save include:
- paper towel tubes
- toilet roll tubes
- plastic bottles
- tin cans (clean, smooth edges)
- old CDs
- cereal boxes, oatmeal containers
- bubble wrap
- packing peanuts
Make sure you have:
- glue and tape
- markers and pencils
- rulers and measuring tape
- recycled goods bin
- non-recycled goods bin
Start with these winter STEM ideas below and build from there. We have new challenges for each new season and holiday!
- Fall STEM Challenge Cards
- Apple STEM Challenge Cards
- Pumpkin STEM Challenge Cards
- Halloween STEM Challenge Cards
- Snowflake STEM Challenge Cards
- Groundhog Day STEM Cards
- Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge Cards
- Spring STEM Challenge Cards
- St Patrick’s Day STEM Challenge Cards
- Easter STEM Challenge Cards
- Earth Day STEM Challenge Cards
MORE FUN WINTER ACTIVITIES
Even if you don’t live in a snowy winter climate, there are many ways to explore the season!
WHAT’S INSIDE? You’ll find 250+ Pages of Winter theme projects for science, STEM, and art!
- 25+ Winter science activities and STEM projects for kids that are easy to set up and fit into the time you have available even if it’s limited! NEW: Observation sheets for activities.
- Printable winter theme STEM activities that are simple but engaging for home or classroom. Perfect for K-2 and beyond and adaptable to many skill levels.
- Find simple background science explanations to share with kids while they explore hands-on and playful experiments, projects, and activities! Fun with physics, chemistry, design, engineering, and more!
- Easy to gather supplies makes these STEM activities ideal when you have limited resources available. Perfect for trying with groups of kids.
- Engaging winter STEM activities packed with winter theme activities, journal pages, and design process steps! Includes structure-building cards, STEM challenge cards, and screen-free coding activities.
- Fun snowflake theme STEM, including snowflake cutting templates, snowflake tinker cards, and snowflake science activities, including a snowflake formation cycle!
- Even more, winter printable sheets include hibernating animals sort, snow weather cycle, 5 senses for winter journal pages, thaumatrope patterns, and fun extras all with a winter theme!