STEM and holidays match together for fun challenges that play with favorite themes. From the classroom to library groups to homeschooling, these printable Fall STEM challenges are the way to go! Get the kids away from the screens and encourage them to invent, design, and engineer their own worlds. STEM activities are perfect all year round!
What is STEM?
Let’s first start with STEM! STEM is an acronym that stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. So, a good STEM project will intertwine two or more learning areas to complete the project. STEM projects often focus on solving problems and can be based on real-world applications.
Almost every good science or engineering project is a STEM activity because you have to pull from different resources to complete it. Results happen when many different factors fall into place.
Technology and math are also essential to work in the STEM framework, whether through research or measurements.
Need to work in a real-world component to meet standards? Try our Real World STEM project template.
It’s important that kids can navigate the technology and engineering portions of STEM needed for a successful future. It’s good to remember there’s so much more to STEM than building expensive robots or being on screens for hours.
Fun Fall STEM Activities
Explore the changing seasons with STEM. This free fall theme STEM activities are perfect for engaging kids in science, technology, engineering, and math as they complete fun challenges!
You need easy ideas for the kids. I want these printable fall STEM activity cards to be a simple way to have fun with your kids.
- Use in the classroom, at home, or with clubs and groups.
- Print, cut, and laminate to use over and over again (or use page protectors).
- Perfect for individual or group challenges.
- Set a time constraint or make it an all-day project!
- Talk about and share the results of each challenge.
WHAT DO FALL STEM CHALLENGES LOOK LIKE?
STEM challenges are usually open-ended suggestions to solve a problem. That’s a big part of what STEM is all about!
Ask a question, develop solutions, design, test, and retest! The tasks are meant to get kids thinking about and using the design process. Make sure to try these Questions for Reflection!
What’s the design process? I’m glad you asked! In many ways, it’s a series of steps an engineer, inventor, or scientist would go through to solve a problem. Learn more about the steps of the engineering design process.
WHAT DO YOU NEED FOR FALL STEM CHALLENGES?
You can use what you already have by letting your kids get creative with simple materials. Also, read about how to put together DIY STEM kit ideas on a budget.
My pro tip is to grab a large, clean plastic tote or bin. Whenever you come across a cool item you would normally toss into recycling, toss it in the bin instead. This goes for packaging materials and items you may otherwise throw away.
Standard STEM materials to save include:
- paper towel tubes
- toilet roll tubes
- plastic bottles
- tin cans (clean, smooth edges)
- old CDs
- cereal boxes, oatmeal containers
- bubble wrap
- packing peanuts
Make sure you have:
- glue and tape
- markers and pencils
- paper (computer and construction)
- rulers and measuring tape
- recycled goods bin
- non-recycled goods bin
- Seasonal/thematic items such as fake apples, pumpkins, and leaves (dollar or craft store)
More Themed STEM Challenge Cards
Start with these fall STEM ideas and build from there. We have new challenges for each new season and holiday!
- Apple STEM Challenge Cards
- Pumpkin STEM Challenge Cards
- Halloween STEM Challenge Cards
- Thanksgiving STEM Challenge Cards
- Winter STEM Challenge Cards
- Snowflake STEM Challenge Cards
- Groundhog Day STEM Cards
- Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge Cards
- Spring STEM Challenge Cards
- St Patrick’s Day STEM Challenge Cards
- Easter STEM Challenge Cards
- Earth Day STEM Challenge Cards
This 200+ page fall theme pack complements both the apple and pumpkin packs. There are no overlaps!
- 20+ Fall theme science and STEM activities with printable sheets, instructions, journal pages, and useful information all using easy-to-source materials perfect for limited time needs. Includes a fall theme engineering pack with fun, problem-based challenges for kids to solve
- Leaf theme science activities include parts of a leaf, leaf coloring pages, leaf rubbing sheets, leaf graphing, and why leaves change colors information and lapbook! Go on a leaf scavenger hunt too.
- Pinecone Pullout Pack: includes pinecone life cycle information, science investigations, and more.
- Fall Screen Free Code Pack includes an introduction to binary code, algorithms, puzzles, and more
- Fall Art/STEAM Projects
- Bonus Fall fun pack includes games and activities to round out your fall theme activities, such as brain breaks, Would You Rather cards, mystery math pictures, and more