We first played with homemade cloud dough just over a year ago! It has an amazing texture, crumbly and moldable at the same time. It can be a bit messy but cleans up easily and feels amazing on the hands. You can make it bubble and fizz , smell like hot chocolate, or even Christmas cookies! Cloud dough has to be one of our favorite sensory recipes.
HOMEMADE CLOUD DOUGH RECIPE FOR KIDS!
SENSORY PLAY WITH CLOUD DOUGH
All of these characteristics make our cloud dough recipe an amazing sensory play material. Recently our homemade cloud dough has been a real favorite for go-to sensory play activities. You may also hear it referred to as moon sand, although we have a different recipe for that too!
Want to turn cloud dough into a simple science activity? Check out our fizzing cloud dough recipe.
CLOUD DOUGH RECIPE
PLEASE NOTE: This cloud dough recipe is not taste-safe! But you can easily make it taste-safe by switching baby oil for cooking oil.
YOU WILL NEED:
- Bin or container
- 5 cups of flour (we have used all different kinds including gluten-free and buckwheat!)
- 1 cup of baby oil (or cooking oil for taste-safe)
- Play tools (we chose play dough accessories, kitchen tools and a small plastic bowl)
HOW TO MAKE CLOUD DOUGH
- Measure, pour and mix! That’s it! Add all ingredients to your sensory bin and mix them together.
- You should be able to grab a chunk of the cloud dough, mold it and have it hold. If not, you may need more oil. Too oily, add more flour!
- Add tools and play accessories to your cloud dough and time to play!
CLOUD DOUGH SENSORY BIN
This is an awesome sensory bin to dig your hands into! I love to play as well. It feels soft on the skin and doesn’t leave a heavy residue on the hand. Bonus, it sweeps up easily too! Add any of your scented extracts to it as well for scented cloud dough.
Repurpose your playdough tools for everyday sensory play!
Next time you need a quick activity, why not whip up a batch of cloud dough!
MORE FUN CLOUD DOUGH RECIPES TO TRY
- Scented Cloud Dough
- Hot Chocolate Cloud Dough
- Pumpkin Cloud Dough
- Fizzing Cloud Dough
- Apple Cloud Dough
- Christmas Cloud Dough
MAKE OUR EASY CLOUD DOUGH RECIPE RIGHT AWAY
Looking for more cool ways to explore the senses, try these simple sensory recipes for sensory play.
No more having to print out a WHOLE blog post for just one recipe!
Get our borax-free slime recipes in an easy to print format so you can knock out the activities!