Want to learn how to dye rice for quick and easy sensory play bins! Sensory play is the best preschool activity around! Colored rice is an awesome sensory bin filler and one of our top 10 favorites! Dying colored rice for sensory play is quick and easy to do and it is ready to use the same day. Our simple how to dye rice recipe makes beautiful colors for whatever sensory play theme you choose.
HOW TO DYE RICE FOR COLORED RICE SENSORY PLAY FUN!
HOW TO COLOR RICE ANYTIME
Our simple how to dye rice recipe makes beautiful colors for whatever theme you choose including rainbow rice. Also, make sure to check out our Ultimate Sensory Play Guide for great ways to use your colored rice!
Here’s how to dye rice for sensory activities. Kids will have a blast digging their hands into this sensory bin!
HOW TO DYE RICE
This how-to dye rice for sensory play is such a simple recipe! Prep and make it in the morning and you can set up your sensory bin for an afternoon activity.
Also, make sure to see our other dyed sensory play materials:
You Will Need:
- White rice
- Food Coloring
- Fun sensory bin items like dinosaurs.
- Scoops and small cups for dumping and filling
HOW TO MAKE COLORED RICE
STEP 1: Measure 1 Cup of rice into a container.
You can make more colored rice if desired just adjust the measurements. Or you can do several colors in different containers and mix them together for a rainbow theme!
STEP 2: Next add 1 Teaspoon of Vinegar.
You could also try lemon juice instead of vinegar for a fun lemon scented rice sensory bin.
STEP 3: Now add as much food coloring as desired (deeper color= more food coloring).
You can make several shades of the same color for a fun effect.
STEP 4: Cover the container and SHAKE the rice vigorously for a minute or two. Check to see if the rice is evenly coated with the food coloring!
STEP 5: Spread the colored rice on paper towel or a tray to dry in an even layer.
STEP 6: Once dry you can transfer the colored rice to a bin for sensory play.
What will you add? Sea creatures, dinosaurs, unicorns, mini-figures all make great additions to any sensory play activity.
TIPS & TRICKS TO DYING RICE
- The rice should be dry in an hour if you stick to the one cup per paper towel. I find the color is distributed the best this way too.
- For some sensory bins, I have made graded shades of colors for a fun twist. This has also allowed me to experiment with how much food coloring to use per cup of rice to achieve desired shades!
- Store your rice in gallon zip lock bags when finished and reuse often!
FUN VARIATIONS OF OUR COLORED RICE
- Lemon Scented Rice
- Spring Green Sensory Bin to check out the graded shades for each one.
- Rainbow Rice
- A beautiful bin of pink and red rice for Valentine’s Day
- Candy cane themed rice bin for Christmas!
- Bursts of color and flowers with this fun spring sensory bin.
MORE HELPFUL IDEAS FOR SENSORY BINS
- Best Sensory Box Items
- Everything you need to know about making sensory bins
- Easy Clean Up Of Sensory Bins
- Ideas For Sensory Bin Fillers
HOW TO DYE RICE FOR COLORED RICE SENSORY PLAY!
Click on the image below or on the link for more fun sensory play recipes for kids.
Looking for easy to print activities, and inexpensive problem-based challenges?
We have you covered…
Click below to get your quick and easy STEM challenges.