Make this silly and spooky handprint craft with kids this Halloween! This project only uses a few supplies you likely have on hand and is a fun and easy Halloween art project!
Make A Halloween Handprint Craft
Handprint crafts are one of our favorite types of crafts! They’re great for at-home or classroom crafts because they are easy to make, inexpensive, and this one is just fun and silly!
Halloween is such a fun time for crafts with kids too! With creepy creatures kids love, it’s easy to find creative crafts they will love this time of year.
This Halloween handprint activity is always a favorite! Modify it to fit your students’ abilities and the time you have available easily with the tips below.
Why Do Art With Kids?
Children are naturally curious. They observe, explore, and imitate, trying to figure out how things work and how to control themselves and their environments. This freedom of exploration helps children form connections in their brain, it helps them learn—and it’s also fun!
Art is a natural activity to support this essential interaction with the world. Kids need the freedom to explore and experiment creatively.
Art allows children to practice a wide range of skills that are useful not only for life but also for learning. These include the aesthetic, scientific, interpersonal, and practical interactions that can be discovered through the senses, intellect, and emotions.
Making and appreciating art involves emotional and mental faculties!
Art, whether making it, learning about it, or simply looking at it – offers a wide range of important experiences. In other words, it’s good for them!
Helpful Art Resources To Get You Started
Here are a few resources to help you introduce process art more effectively to your kiddos or students and feel confident when presenting materials. You’ll find helpful free printables throughout.
- Free Color Mixing Mini Pack
- Getting Started with Process Art
- Preschool Art Projects
- How to Make Paint
- Easy Painting Ideas For Kids
- Fun Pop Art Ideas
- Free Art Challenges
- Outdoor Art Projects
- What Are The 7 Elements Of Art?
- STEAM Activities (Science + Art)
- Make an art cart!
Tips For Making This Halloween Handprint Art
- Choose the Right Paint Colors: Select Halloween-themed paint colors such as black, orange, purple, and green.
- Prepare Your Workspace: Cover your work surface with newspaper or a plastic tablecloth to protect it from paint spills. Make sure you have all your supplies ready, including paintbrushes, paper, and a container of water for cleaning hands and brushes.
- Use Non-Toxic Paint: Ensure that the paint you use is non-toxic and safe for all participants. Acrylic or washable tempera paints are good choices for handprint crafts. See how to make your own non-toxic paint.
- Add Details and Decorations: After making the handprint, add details with a brush or by using other craft supplies like googly eyes, glitter, or markers.
- Use Paper Instead Of Paint: Want an easy alternative to hand painting? Trace around the hand on paper. Then cut it out and glue to the template.
Halloween Handprint Art: Frank-n-fingers
- Acrylic paint
STEP 1: Print out the square coloring pages/templates.
STEP 2: Paint your hand with acrylic paint and place it carefully into the hand outline. Roll you fingers around so you get most of the paint off of your hands and onto the paper. Leave it to dry.
Alternatively, trace your own hand onto construction paper. Then cut the hand out and glue it onto the template.
STEP 3: Use a black marker to draw faces onto your hand creations.
STEP 4: Now add more color by shading the background squares with your markers. Also a time to get creative with colors.
Here’s another fun way to do it!
More Fun Halloween Art Ideas
- Use marbles to make this bat painting
- Make a toilet roll ghost craft
- Try a black cat zentangle
- Use playdough to make these Picasso pumpkins
- Create a 3-D Halloween papercraft
- Make a Kandinsky Halloween watercolor painting
Everything you need is included in this Fall Art Project Pack. Just add art supplies! Perfect for kids of all ages to enjoy with a variety of techniques. Whether in the classroom, at home, or with groups, there is a fantastic variety of art activities to try!
Find all the instructions and templates necessary for over 40 art projects this Fall.
Explore process art, STEAM, and even famous artists with these very doable art activities that won’t break the budget or the time you have available!