Explore shadow science with a simple LEGO Halloween challenge! Build a classic LEGO ghost and add a spooky twist with a flashlight! A variety of basic bricks make this an easy build for LEGO fans of all ages and is particularly fun for the Halloween season. A dose of science through exploring shadows is a great addition to your Halloween STEM activities.
BUILD A LEGO GHOST FOR HALLOWEEN STEM
BUILD A LEGO HALLOWEEN GHOST
My son and I like to build LEGO creations with basic bricks. These LEGO Halloween ideas are perfect for young kids starting out in the LEGO world. Plus they are simple enough for a young child to do on his or her own.
Easy LEGO ideas that are quick to build and fun to repeat. You can make a whole bunch of these LEGO ghosts even if they end up being different colors!
This LEGO ghost is a fun build featured in the LEGO Medium Creative Brick Box 10696. Please note, I am an amazon affiliate and do receive a commission from any items purchased.
Of course, you can use a variety of your own bricks and make a similar design. I had to change out a few pieces based on the bricks I had available! However, I think a great benefit to building with LEGO for kids is the opportunity to problem solve!
Make sure to grab a flashlight when you have finished building your ghost, and see if you make some shadows.
WHAT’S THE SIMPLE SCIENCE BEHIND SHADOWS?
Shadows are all about physics and light. You need a source of light for there to be a shadow. Grab a flashlight or use a sunny day!
Here, we are using a flashlight because it’s not very sunny out today. When the ghost is in front of the light source it blocks the light and creates the shadow. Since the light can’t pass through the LEGO bricks, it creates a shadow on the wall!
If our bricks were transparent, however, the light would pass through and there would NOT be a shadow! You can actually see that with the ghost’s mouth area and with the translucent bricks I added! Play around with more translucent bricks if you have them.
You can also play around with the angle you hold your ghost or how close or far from the wall you hold it. What happens?
- Five 1×2 bricks
- Two 1×1 bricks with eyes
- Two 2×4 plates
- One 2×6 plate (base of ghost)
- Five 2×2 slopes
- Two 2×3 inverted slopes
- One 2×4 curved slope
- Two flat 1×2 slopes ( I had to improvise!)
- Accessories for decorating
- Any piece to make a handle
Tip: Use a blend of whatever colors you have!
Tip: If you don’t have these eyes, try using 1×1 bricks with a side stud attachment and add either 1×1 flat eye studs or 1×1 round studs in a translucent color! Get creative!
LEGO GHOST INSTRUCTIONS
Build along with the pictures! Check out the shadow science when you have finished building your LEGO ghost!
While the bricks are out, make a Jack O’ Lantern too!
Click on the image below or on the link for all our fall and Halloween LEGO building ideas.
MORE FUN HALLOWEEN SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS
Check out our complete list of spooky Halloween science experiments for kids!
Halloween Art Activities
Go ahead and add some of these favorite Halloween art activities to your countdown!
150+ Pages of Halloween-Themed Materials!
This Halloween project pack is suitable for home, school, and group use for kids in grades Kindergarten through elementary but is scaleable for many ages and abilities.
- 25+ Halloween theme science and STEM activities with printable sheets, instructions, and helpful information all using easy-to-source materials perfect for limited-time needs. Includes a Halloween engineering pack with fun, problem-based challenges for kids to solve!
- The skeleton activity pack includes building a skeleton challenge and a coding challenge! Try a skeleton bone bridge-building STEM challenge!
- Halloween theme brick printable activities for hands-on learning with math that is perfect for early finishers or home fun and reinforces basic math concepts.
- Bonus fun pack includes games and activities to round out your Halloween theme, such as I Spy, bingo, matching, Would You Rather cards, scavenger hunt, word search, A-Z Halloween hunt, and a coloring page.
- The Halloween STEAM Pack includes artist-inspired projects by Warhol, Lichtenstein, and more!