Did you know geography is actually science (and not history as commonly thought)! Geography is the study of places and the relationships between people and their environments. I think you will find it fascinating to explore the way other cultures around the world celebrate the holidays with these Christmas geography games and activities for our 5 Days of Christmas Science Projects!
CHRISTMAS GEOGRAPHY GAMES AND ACTIVITIES
CHRISTMAS SCIENCE ACTIVITIES
Welcome to the 2nd of 5 Days of Christmas Science Projects with Christmas Around the World! Find fun ways to explore Christmas geography and see how others celebrate this time of year?
How similar or different are your celebrations from other country’s celebrations?
Don’t forget to check out the 1st Day of Christmas Science Projects with a little Christmas biology, reindeer facts…
These next few days you can explore some “off the beaten path” types of holiday or Christmas STEM activities, and today its all about traveling around the world (without even leaving your chair).
You can go ahead and save the more traditional Christmas science experiments for another day.
CHRISTMAS AROUND THE WORLD
The best way to study geography in terms of Christmas is to simply study how different countries and cultures around the world celebrate Christmas. There are dozens of wonderful websites dedicated to this topic, but here are my favorites that we have used in the past…
Add these fun ideas to your Christmas geography lessons this month. Kids will love the novelty of exploring the world through different holiday traditions and celebrations.
- You can get a free, printable Christmas Around the World Unit Study from my friend Erica at Confessions of a Homeschooler. She covers Japan, China, Russia, Great Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and Mexico. You’ll love this unity study because it is colorful and child-friendly.
- How Stuff Works has a section on Christmas traditions in Australia, China, England, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, and Sweden. These pages are very detailed.
- Christmas Around The World: How Different Countries Celebrate The Festive Season is a short, condensed guide to some of the very unusual ways in which 19 countries celebrate Christmas.
- Follow along with Christmas Traditions Worldwide with the History Channel! They details how our modern Christmas is a product of hundreds of years of both secular and religious traditions from around the globe.
- Christmas Around The World. This is a collection of historical Christmas celebrations for 32 different countries. The celebration or activity is the earliest history for each country and may not represent the current Christmas celebrations of today.
- Christmas Around The World has traditions and customs for 70 countries. This site includes photos from every country as well. They also have a separate page that teaches you how to say Merry Christmas in every language.
MORE WAYS TO EXPLORE CHRISTMAS GEOGRAPHY
You can extend the journey to explore Christmas geography games and activities by coloring in a map of the world as you learn about each country’s traditions. Before you know it, your child will know his or her way around the world!
You can also take the learning a step further and head into the kitchen…
Baking cookies is a science too! Here’s a nice collection of cookies around the world to try! Your kids will love picking a country and a recipe to share with each other.
GEOGRAPHY CHRISTMAS WORKSHEET
You can track Santa this Christmas Eve! Use the official Norad Santa Tracker website to keep track of Santa on this busy day!