Did you know kids love homemade playdough of all kinds? I sure do! This super soft cornstarch playdough with only 2 ingredients couldn’t be easier and the kids can easily help you! We love sensory activities and this one takes the cake with a silky soft texture and great squish-ability. Read on for the easiest playdough recipe ever!
HOW TO MAKE CORNSTARCH PLAYDOUGH!
HANDS-ON LEARNING WITH PLAYDOUGH
Did you know that homemade sensory play materials like this 2 ingredient playdough are amazing for helping young kids develop an awareness of their senses?
You will find fun playdough activities sprinkled below to encourage hands-on learning, fine motor skills, math, and much more!
THINGS TO DO WITH PLAYDOUGH
PLAYDOUGH LETTER & COUNTING ACTIVITIES
- Turn your playdough into a counting activity by adding dice! Roll and place the correct amount of items on a piece of rolled out playdough! Use buttons, beads, or small toys for counting.
- Make it a game and the first one to 20, wins!
- Add number playdough stamps and pair with the items to practice numbers 1-10 or 1-20.
- Make an alphabet letter activity tray with playdough.
DEVELOP FINE MOTOR SKILLS WITH PLAYDOUGH
- Mix small items into the playdough and add a pair of kid-safe tweezers or tongs for a hide and seek game!
- Make a sorting activity. Roll out the soft playdough into different shapes. Next, mix up the items and have the kids sort them by color, size or type to the different playdough shapes using the tweezers!
- Use kid-safe playdough scissors to practice cutting playdough into pieces.
- Simply using cookie cutters to cut out shapes is great for little fingers!
STEM ACTIVITIES WITH SOFT PLAYDOUGH
- Turn your 2 Ingredient playdough into a STEM activity for the book Ten Apples Up On Top by Dr. Seuss! Challenge your kids to roll up 10 apples out of playdough and stack them 10 apples tall! See more ideas for 10 Apples Up On Top here.
- Challenge the kids to create different size playdough balls and put them in the correct order of size!
- Add toothpicks and roll up “mini balls” out of the playdough and use them along with the toothpicks to create 2D and 3D shapes!
CORNSTARCH PLAYDOUGH RECIPE
The ratio for this recipe is 1 part hair conditioner to two parts cornstarch. We used one cup and two cups, but you can adjust the recipe as desired.
- 1 cup of hair conditioner
- 2 cups of cornstarch
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Food coloring (optional)
- Playdough accessories
HOW TO MAKE PLAYDOUGH WITH CORNSTARCH
1: Start by adding the hair conditioner to a bowl.
2: If you want to add a few drops of food coloring, now’s the time! We made several colors of this 2 ingredient playdough. So quick and easy!
3: Now add the cornstarch to thicken your dough and give it that awesome playdough texture. You can start out mixing the conditioner and cornstarch with a spoon, but eventually, you will have to switch to kneading it with your hands.
4: Time to get the hands in the bowl and knead your playdough. Once the mixture is fully incorporated, you can remove the soft playdough and place on a clean surface to finish kneading into a silky smooth ball!
Mixing Tip: The beauty of this 2 ingredient playdough recipe is that the measurements are loose. If the mixture isn’t firm enough, add a pinch of cornstarch. But if the mixture is too dry, add a glob of conditioner. Find your favorite consistency! Make it an experiment!
Note: Inexpensive hair conditioner works perfectly. You can easily add food coloring as desired or leave plain. Some conditioners are naturally tinted.
Keep in mind that conditioners vary in viscosity or thickness, so you may need to adjust the amount of cornstarch used.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Powdered Sugar Playdough
HOW TO STORE PLAYDOUGH
This cornstarch playdough has a unique texture and is a bit different than our traditional playdough recipes. Because it does not have preservatives in it, it will not last long.
Generally, you would store homemade playdough in an airtight container in the fridge. Similarly you can still store this conditioner playdough in an airtight container or zip-top bag, but it won’t be as much fun to play with again and again.
MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT: Non toxic and borax free Edible Slime Recipes
MORE FUN RECIPES TO TRY
MAKE THIS EASY HOMEMADE SOFT PLAYDOUGH RECIPE TODAY!
Click on the photo below or on the link for more fun sensory play ideas for kids.