Back to school time, apple picking, and making apple pie! The sight of mounds of apples in the stores really gets me in the mood for fall (and cinnamon donuts with apple cider). Why not explore apple theme sensory play with our homemade apple playdough recipe and activity. Check out this easy playdough recipe and the activity suggestions below!
MAKE APPLE SCENTED PLAYDOUGH FOR FALL!
HANDS-ON LEARNING WITH PLAYDOUGH
MAKE YOUR OWN PLAYDOUGH APPLES
You will find more activity suggestions sprinkled throughout below to encourage hands-on learning, fine motor skills, and math!
YOU WILL NEED:
- A batch of apple-scented playdough (see recipe below)
- Apple-shaped cookie cutters
- Black beans
- Cinnamon sticks
- Green pipe cleaners
- Green and red pom-poms, buttons, or Perler/Pony beads
- Black Perler/Pony beads
- Mini play dough rolling pin
- Plastic knife
- Playdough Scissors
- Mini pie tins
HOW TO MAKE PLAYDOUGH APPLES
1. Roll out the apple playdough you have made with a mini roller or flatten with the palm of your hand.
2. Use an apple-shaped cookie cutter to cut out apple shapes from the playdough.
SIMPLE APPLE MATH ACTIVITIES
- Turn it into a counting activity and add dice! Roll and place the correct amount of items on the playdough apple!
- Make it a game and the first one to 20, wins!
- Add number playdough stamps and pair with the items to practice numbers 1-10 or 1-20.
APPLE FINE MOTOR SKILLS IDEAS
- Add a pair of kid-safe tweezers or tongs for picking up items to decorate apples!
- Make a sorting activity. Roll out an apple or two or three. Next, mix up the items in a small container. Then, have the kids sort the items by color or size or type to the different apples using the tweezers!
- Use kid-safe playdough scissors to practice cutting the playdough apples into pieces and make a pie.
PARTS OF AN APPLE ACTIVITY USING PLAYDOUGH
Looking for easy to print activities?
We have you covered…
Click below to get your quick and easy science activity.
APPLE STEM ACTIVITIES WITH PLAYDOUGH
- Turn playdough apples into a STEM activity for the book Ten Apples Up On Top by Dr. Seuss! Challenge your kids to roll up 10 apples out of playdough and stack them 10 apples tall! See more ideas for 10 Apples Up On Top here.
- Challenge the kids to create a small, medium, and large apple and put them in the correct order of size!
- Add toothpicks and roll up “mini apples” out of the playdough and use them along with the toothpicks to create 2D and 3D shapes!
APPLE PLAYDOUGH RECIPE
This is a cooked playdough recipe. Go here for our no-cook playdough version.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 Tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Green and red food coloring
- Apple scented oil (optional)
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon spice (optional)