Playdough that’s edible and smells amazing? You bet! This powdered sugar playdough with only 2 ingredients couldn’t be easier, and the kids can easily help you mix up a batch or two! I know for sure that kids will love how soft this playdough is. We love homemade playdough and this one takes the cake with a soft feel and amazing smell if you use flavored icing. Read on for the easiest edible playdough recipe ever!
HOW TO MAKE POWDERED SUGAR PLAYDOUGH!
HANDS-ON LEARNING WITH PLAYDOUGH
Did you know that homemade sensory play materials like this 2 ingredient playdough are amazing for helping young kids develop an awareness of their senses?
You will find fun playdough activities sprinkled below to encourage hands-on learning, fine motor skills, math, and much more!
THINGS TO DO WITH POWDERED SUGAR PLAYDOUGH
- Turn your playdough into a counting activity and add dice! Roll and place the correct amount of items on rolled out playdough! Use buttons, beads, or small toys for counting. You could even make it a game and the first one to 20, wins!
- Add number playdough stamps and pair with the items to practice numbers 1-10 or 1-20.
- Mix small items into your ball of playdough and add a pair of kid-safe tweezers or tongs for them to find things with.
- Make a sorting activity. Roll out the soft playdough into different circles. Next, mix up the items in a small container. Then, have the kids sort the items by color or size or type to the different playdough shapes using the tweezers!
- Use kid-safe playdough scissors to practice cutting their playdough into pieces.
- Simply using cookie cutters to cut out shapes, which is great for little fingers!
- Turn your playdough into a STEM activity for the book Ten Apples Up On Top by Dr. Seuss! Challenge your kids to roll up 10 apples out of playdough and stack them 10 apples tall! See more ideas for 10 Apples Up On Top here.
- Challenge kids to create different size playdough balls and put them in the correct order of size!
- Add toothpicks and roll up “mini balls” out of the playdough and use them along with the toothpicks to create 2D and 3D.
POWDERED SUGAR PLAYDOUGH RECIPE
The ratio for this edible playdough recipe is one part frosting to one part of powdered sugar. You can use either a white frosting, flavored or colored frosting. White frosting will allow you to make your own colors.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of frosting (flavored creates a nice scent)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar (cornstarch does work but is not as tasty)
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Food coloring (optional)
- Playdough accessories
HOW TO MAKE POWDERED SUGAR PLAYDOUGH
1: Start by adding the frosting to your bowl.
2: If you want to add a few drops of food coloring, now’s the time!
We made several colors of this 2 ingredient edible playdough and also used a strawberry frosting for one batch.
3: Now add the confectioner’s sugar to thicken your dough and give it that awesome playdough texture. You can start out mixing the frosting and sugar with a spoon, but eventually, you will have to switch to kneading it with your hands.
4: Time to get the hands in the bowl and knead your playdough. Once the mixture is fully incorporated, you can remove the soft playdough and place on a clean surface to finish kneading into a silky smooth ball!
HOW TO STORE PLAYDOUGH
This edible powdered sugar playdough has a unique texture and is a bit different than our traditional playdough recipes. Because it does not have preservatives in it like salt, it will not last as long.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: No Cook Playdough Recipe
Generally, you would store homemade playdough in an airtight container in the fridge. Similarly, you can still store this powdered sugar playdough in an airtight container or zip-top bag, but it won’t be as much fun to play with again and again.
MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT: Edible Slime Recipes
MORE FUN RECIPES TO TRY
- DIY Kinetic Sand
- Cloud Dough Activities
- Sand Dough
- Homemade Slime Recipes
- Sand Foam
- Cornstarch Playdough
MAKE THIS EASY POWDERED SUGAR PLAYDOUGH RECIPE TODAY!
Click on the photo below or on the link for more fun sensory play ideas for kids.