Make Thanksgiving fun this year with this adorable Turkey Hat craft for kids! It’s made using just construction paper and a glue stick and kids love it! Make it as a stand-alone craft or pair it with one of these turkey crafts and activities!
EASY TURKEY HAT CRAFT FOR KIDS
Whether you want to make this cute turkey hat craft at home or in a classroom, kids will love it! It’s a great activity to do with kids on Thanksgiving day too!
What we love about this craft is that kids will only need scissors, a glue stick, and construction paper to complete it! No paints or messy materials for this project. This is a great preschool Thanksgiving craft, but older kids enjoy making them too so it would work for all elementary-age students!
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS TURKEY HAT CRAFT
- CONSTRUCTION PAPER. A lot of construction paper multi-packs don’t include brown paper. Places like Mardel and Hobby Lobby and Amazon will sell packs of brown individually if you don’t have it on hand.
- CIRCLES. The circles for the eyes can be difficult for little hands to cut without a guide. Have them trace something for the black and white paper circles for the eyes if they need more support.
- FEATHERS. We used red, orange, and yellow construction paper for the feathers, but you can use whatever colors you want! Let kids pick their own, or use what you have on hand.
CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR FREE THANKSGIVING BINGO ACTIVITY
HOW TO MAKE A TURKEY HAT
- Black Construction Paper
- Brown Construction Paper
- White Construction Paper
- Orange Construction Paper
- Yellow Construction Paper
- Red Construction Paper
- Glue Stick
- Writing Utensil (optional)
EASY THANKSGIVING TURKEY HAT CRAFT INSTRUCTIONS:
STEP 1: To make your turkey hat craft students will need to do a lot of cutting! Give each student a sheet of paper from the colors listed (red, orange, yellow, black, white, brown) and a pair of scissors and have them cut out the following pieces:
- (3) Feathers (we used red, orange, and yellow paper)
- (2) Small Black Circles
- (2) Large White Circles
- (1) Large Orange Triangle
- (2) Brown 1 1/2″ (approx.) Strips.
We freehand cut the pieces out, but if you wanted to have guides pre-drawn for your students, or have them draw them by tracing objects, you can.
CLASSROOM TIP: If making this Thanksgiving craft with a group of kids, or in a classroom, have students also write their names on the back of their hats before gluing the strips together to keep them separate.
STEP 2: To make the band of your hat, you will need to glue the brown strips together to make a band wide enough to work as a hat. Make them overlap by about an inch.
STEP 3: Next, you will need to glue on the orange triangle for the turkey beak. Make the pointed in point down and glue it right in the center of the seam, as this will hide the seam.
STEP 4: Once the beak is glued down, you can glue on your big white circles for eyes. Make sure your eyes overlap some in the middle and cover some of the beak.
STEP 5: To finish your turkey eyes, use the glue stick to glue on the black circles in the center of your white circles.
STEP 6: Now that your turkey face is finished, it’s time to size it to the child’s head and attach the feathers!
Wrap the brown paper around the student’s head, and mark where it needs to be glued to fit like a hat, and then use a glue stick to glue the brown strips together.
After it’s glued together, add the three feathers to the inside of the hat ring using a glue stick.
When it’s finished, your cute Thanksgiving turkey hat craft should look something like this! I love to see the creative differences in each student’s craft project when they’re finished!
MORE FUN THANKSGIVING ACTIVITIES
MAKE A CUTE TURKEY CRAFT FOR THANKSGIVING
Click on the image below or on the link for more fun preschool Thanksgiving activities.