These fun and easy drawing ideas are sure to be a hit with your kids. Simple art projects are an easy addition to your lesson plans or down time any time of the year. These fun drawing prompts will get kids imaginations going and encourage them to create their own drawings!
FUN DRAWING PROMPTS FOR KIDS
WHY DO ART WITH KIDS
Children are naturally curious. They observe, explore, and imitate, trying to figure out how things work and how to control themselves and their environments. This freedom of exploration helps children form connections in their brain, it helps them learn—and it’s also fun.
Art is a natural activity to support this essential interaction with the world. Kids need the freedom to explore and experiment. Art allows children to practice a wide range of skills that are useful not only for life but also for learning. These include the aesthetic, scientific, interpersonal, and practical interactions that can be discovered through the senses, intellect, and emotions.
Specific skills simple art projects develop include:
- Fine motor skills. Grasping pencils, crayons, chalk, and paintbrushes.
- Cognitive development. Cause and effect, problem-solving.
- Math skills. Understanding concepts like shape, size, counting, and spatial reasoning.
- Language skills. As children share their artwork and process, they develop language skills.
Ways you can support and encourage a love of art:
- Provide a diverse range of supplies. Gather a wide range of materials for your child to use like paint, colored pencils, chalk, play dough, markers, crayons, oil pastels, scissors, and stamps.
- Encourage, but don’t lead. let them decide what materials they want to use and how and when to use them. Let them take the lead.
- Be flexible. Instead of sitting down with a plan or expected outcome in mind, let your child explore, experiment, and use their imaginations. They might make a huge mess or change their direction several times—this is all part of the creative process.
- Let it go. Let them explore. They may only want to run their hands through the shaving cream instead of painting with it. Children learn through playing, exploring, and trial and error. If you give them the freedom to discover, they will learn to create and experiment in new and innovative ways.
EASY DRAWING IDEAS FOR KIDS
Here are four great ways to prompt kids to come up with their own drawing ideas. Make sure to grab our free printable drawing pack too!
1. LOOK OUT THE WINDOW
2. LOOK OUT INTO SPACE
Looking for more fun ideas for an outer space theme? Check out our collection of space activities.
3. WHAT’S ON THE BOOKSHELF?
It could be books but what else could be sitting on the bookshelf you could draw?
4. DELICIOUS SWEET TREATS
Who doesn’t love a sweet treat? What favorite dessert would you want to draw?
MORE FUN ART ACTIVITIES TO TRY
EASY DRAWING IDEAS FOR KIDS
Click on the image below or on the link for more fun art activities to try.