winter activities for kids!How do snowy owls live in some of the coldest parts of the world? Learn more about these amazing white birds and make your own snowy owls with our fun pinecone owl ornaments. We love easy
MAKE YOUR OWN PINECONE OWLS FOR A FUN WINTER CRAFT
HOW TO MAKE AN OWLGet ready to add this simple snowy owl craft to your winter activities this holiday season. While you’re at it, make sure to check out more of our favorite winter activities for kids. YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Reindeer Facts For Kids Our crafts are designed with you, the parent or teacher, in mind! Easy to set up, quick to do, most activities will take only 15 to 30 minutes to complete and are heaps of fun! Plus, our supplies lists usually contain only free or cheap materials you can source from home! Make these cute pinecone owls and use as fun owl ornaments on the tree or owl decorations. Learn a little more about the amazing snowy owls as well!
FUN FACTS ABOUT SNOWY OWLS
- Snowy owls are large white and black flecked birds that live in the cold Arctic regions. See our Biomes of the World.
- They mostly eat rodents and water birds.
- Snowy owls nest on the ground, and unlike many other owls they are active during the day and sleep at night.
- Snowy owls can weigh from 3.5 to 6.6 lbs (1.6 to 3 kg) and be 20 to 28 in. long (52-71 cm).
- Their entire bodies, even legs and toes, are covered with soft, fluffy feathers, and their feet have extra thick pads to keep them warm.
- They will even crouch on the ground behind any object that can block the wind when the temperatures get very cold.
SNOWY OWL CRAFTAlso enjoy a colorful owl art project.
YOU WILL NEED:
- Pinecones – Dry and free of bugs is best!
- Cotton balls (about 5 for each pinecone, depending on the size)
- 2 (9×12) felt sheets in coordinating colors
- 2 wiggly eyes for each pinecone
- Quick-dry tacky glue
- 2 tan pipecleaners (for each pinecone)
- ½ yellow or orange pipecleaner (for each pinecone)
- Ink pen or marker
HOW TO MAKE PINECONE OWLSSTEP 1. Tear pieces of cotton from the cotton ball and stuff between the layers of the pinecone. Once the pinecone is completely filled, set aside. STEP 2. Cut each tan pipe cleaner in three equal pieces. With each piece of pipe cleaner, fold under part of the stem (about ⅓ of the stem) and shape until a talon for the owl’s feet. Repeat the step until all stems are bent. STEP 3. Take three of the shaped pipe cleaners and twist the unbent ends together to create one foot. Repeat with the other three stem pieces. Glue to the bottom of the pinecone. STEP 4. Place the wiggly eyes on one sheet of felt. Draw around the eyes to create a bulky hourglass shape. Cut from felt. Glue the eyes to the felt. Set aside to dry. STEP 5. On the same piece of felt, draw a teardrop shape slightly shorter than the height of the pinecone for wings. Fold the felt in half and cut two teardrop pieces exactly the same size. STEP 6. Place one of the teardrop pieces on the coordinating piece of felt. Outline a teardrop slightly larger than the existing teardrop. Fold the felt in half and cut two teardrop shapes again. Glue one smaller teardrop piece to each larger teardrop piece. Set aside to dry. STEP 7. With the half yellow or orange pipe cleaner, create a beak by folding the stem in half. Fold each half in half again and shape into a small triangular beak. STEP 8> Once all pieces are created and dry (if needed), use glue to attach the eyes to the pinecone. Position the beak below the eyes and attach with glue. Then, glue the teardrop wings to each side of the pinecone. Allow to dry completely before playing or displaying your pinecone owl ornament.
Looking for easy to print activities, and inexpensive problem-based challenges?
We have you covered…
Click below to get your quick and easy winter STEM challenges.
MORE FUN ANIMAL FACTS
- Narwhal Fun Facts
- How Do Sharks Float?
- How Do Squid Swim?
- How Do Fish Breathe?
- Polar Bear Facts
- How Do Polar Bears Stay Warm?
- Fun Facts About Koalas
MAKE PINECONE SNOWY OWL CRAFT FOR WINTER
Click on the image below or on the link for more fun and easy winter activities.