homemade playdough!A sprinkle of glitter and soft colors makes this amazingly soft fairy dough come to life! Whip up a super soft playdough recipe with just two ingredients in minutes. Play for hours with a sweet fairy theme. Can’t you just hear the make-believe stories happening now? This fairy dough is ultra-soft and smooth for the perfect sensory experience. We love simple
SUPER SOFT FAIRY DOUGH RECIPE
HANDS-ON LEARNING WITH PLAYDOUGHDid you know that homemade sensory play materials like this 2 ingredient fairy playdough are amazing for helping young kids develop an awareness of their senses? YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Scented Apple Playdough You will also find fun playdough activities sprinkled below to encourage hands-on learning, fine motor skills, math, and much more!
THINGS TO DO WITH FAIRY DOUGH
PLAYDOUGH LETTERS & COUNTING
- Turn your playdough into a counting activity by adding dice! Roll and place the correct amount of items on a piece of rolled out playdough! Use buttons, beads, or small toys for counting.
- Make it a game and the first one to 20, wins!
- Add number playdough stamps and pair with the items to practice numbers 1-10 or 1-20.
- Make an alphabet letter activity tray with playdough.
DEVELOP FINE MOTOR SKILLS
- Mix small items into the playdough and add a pair of kid-safe tweezers or tongs for a hide and seek game!
- Make a sorting activity. Roll out the soft playdough into different shapes. Next, mix up the items and have the kids sort them by color, size or type to the different playdough shapes using the tweezers!
- Use kid-safe playdough scissors to practice cutting playdough into pieces.
- Make playdough flowers with our free playdough mat.
- Simply using cookie cutters to cut out shapes is great for little fingers!
FAIRY PLAYDOUGH RECIPEThis is a fun super soft playdough recipe, check out our no-cook playdough recipe or our popular cooked playdough recipe for easy alternatives.
FAIRY DOUGH INGREDIENTS:The ratio for this recipe is 1 part hair conditioner to two parts cornstarch. We used one cup and two cups, but you can adjust the recipe as desired. Inexpensive hair conditioner works perfectly. You can easily add food coloring as desired or leave plain. Some conditioners are naturally tinted. Keep in mind that conditioners vary in viscosity or thickness, so you may need to adjust the amount of cornstarch used.
- 1 cup of hair conditioner
- 2 cups of cornstarch
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Food coloring
- Glitter (optional)
- Playdough accessories
HOW TO MAKE FAIRY DOUGHSTEP 1: Start by adding the hair conditioner to a bowl. STEP 2: If you want to add a few drops of food coloring, now’s the time! Light pastel color works great for our fairy playdough. STEP 3: Now add the cornstarch to thicken your fairy dough and give it that awesome playdough texture. You can start out mixing the conditioner and cornstarch with a spoon, but eventually, you will have to switch to kneading it with your hands. STEP 4: Time to get the hands in the bowl and knead your playdough. Once the mixture is fully incorporated, you can remove the soft fairy playdough and place on a clean surface to finish kneading into a silky smooth ball! Mixing Tip: The beauty of this 2 ingredient playdough recipe is that the measurements are loose. If the mixture isn’t firm enough, add a pinch of cornstarch. But if the mixture is too dry, add a glob of conditioner. Find your favorite consistency! Make it an experiment! YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Powdered Sugar Playdough
Don’t forget to sprinkle on some fairy dust (glitter)!
HOW TO STORE FAIRY PLAYDOUGHThis cornstarch playdough has a unique texture and is a bit different than our traditional playdough recipes. Because it does not have preservatives in it, it will not last long. Generally, you would store homemade playdough in an airtight container in the fridge. Similarly you can still store this conditioner playdough in an airtight container or zip-top bag, but it won’t be as much fun to play with again and again. Instead you may just want to whip up a fresh batch to play with!
MORE FUN RECIPES TO TRY
MAKE THIS SOFT FAIRY PLAYDOUGH RECIPE TODAY!
Click on the photo below or on the link for more fun sensory play ideas for kids.