Tis the season for building with LEGO! STEM, LEGO, bricks, and holidays match perfectly together for fun STEM building challenges to go along with the changing seasons. These printable Christmas LEGO task cards are the way to go whether you’re in the classroom or at home! LEGO activities are perfect all year round!
PRINTABLE CHRISTMAS LEGO TASK CARDS FOR KIDS
STEM WITH LEGO BRICKS
Let’s first start with STEM! STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. So a good STEM project will intertwine two or more of these learning areas to complete the project. STEM projects often focus on solving a problem and can be based on real-world applications.
Almost every good science or engineering project is really a STEM activity because you have to pull from different resources to complete it. Results happen when many different factors fall into place.
Technology and math are also important to work into the framework of STEM whether it’s through research or measurements.
It’s important that kids can navigate the technology and engineering portions of STEM needed for a successful future. It’s good to remember there’s so much more to STEM than building expensive robots or being on screens for hours.
LEGO is a fantastic tool for developing STEM skills, and it doesn’t just have to be about using Powered Up functions or Mindstorms! Good ole 2×2 and 2×4 bricks will do the trick for our younger engineers. These types of challenges make the perfect stepping stones to more involved LEGO STEM projects later on!
FUN CHRISTMAS STEM ACTIVITIES
Explore the changing seasons with STEM and Lego building. These printable Christmas Lego building ideas are perfect for engaging kids in science, technology, engineering, and math as they complete fun challenges!
You need easy ideas for the kids right? I want these printable Christmas Lego task cards to be a simple way to have fun with your kids.
They can be used in the classroom as easily as they can be used at home. Print, cut, and laminate to use over and over again.
Also try this: Build a LEGO Snowflake
WHAT DO LEGO STEM CHALLENGES LOOK LIKE?
STEM challenges are usually open-ended suggestions to solve a problem. That’s a big part of what STEM is all about!
Ask a question, come up with solutions, design, test, and retest! The tasks are meant to get kids thinking about, and using the design process with Lego!
What’s the design process? I’m glad you asked! In many ways, it’s a series of steps an engineer, inventor, or scientist would go through when trying to solve a problem. Learn more about the steps of the engineering design process.
HOW TO GET STARTED
We try not to use many fancy pieces if at all, so anyone can have a go at these LEGO ideas!
Discovering how to use the LEGO pieces you already have to make something cool is a great skill for young kids to learn early on. You don’t always need more of something. Instead, use your imagination and work with what you already have!
Here are a few tips:
- Don’t have enough of one color? Use another!
- Have a fun piece you can use instead? Go ahead!
- Want to take the challenge to another level? Make up your own additions!
- This Classic LEGO set is perfect if you need to add pieces to your collection.
The goal is to be able to put those critical thinking skills to the test!
Also, look for more fun LEGO theme challenge cards like this:
- Fall LEGO Challenge Cards
- Halloween LEGO Challenge Cards
- Thanksgiving LEGO Challenge Cards
- Winter LEGO Challenge Cards
- Valentine’s Day LEGO Challenge Cards
- Spring LEGO Challenge Cards
- St Patrick’s Day LEGO Challenge Cards
- Easter LEGO Challenge Cards
- Earth Day LEGO Challenge Cards
Use the Bricks and Pieces You Already Have This Holiday Season!
Just print and go with this DIY Christmas-themed Advent brick challenge calendar.
- 24 Days of fun, Brick-inspired challenges that encourage your kiddos to use the loose bricks and pieces they already have in bins and boxes!
- No fancy pieces are required! You can accomplish all of these builds using the Classic Box 11717.
- Bonus challenges/projects included! Check out 12 creative building challenges to test critical thinking skills! Or make brick-stamped cards and ornaments!
- DIY Brick Gift Ideas: Make and give these simple gifts this holiday season, including soaps, bath bombs, and crayon recipes!