These are the best kids LEGO activities because the easily use the bricks you already have! LEGO is one of the most incredible and versatile building toys. Usually, we enjoy tons of cool science experiments together, so we have mixed science and STEM with LEGO building. Find out all the coolest things to build with LEGO below and find free printable LEGO challenges to keep the fun rolling all year round.
LEGO Activities For Kids
As you may know, we LOVE everything STEM, science, and art. So we have combined that with LEGO for AMAZING learning and playing experiences! You can use LEGO anywhere, including home, classroom, office, or group setting, making it the perfect portable activity for kids.
Whether you start with Duplo bricks for toddlers or preschoolers and work your way up to basic bricks for preschool, kindergarten, and beyond, LEGO building is for everyone!
LEGO lets your imagination run wild, and paired with science, STEM, or art; kids have a unique opportunity to explore LEGO like you have never explored it before.
Our favorite LEGO challenge: challenge your kids to build a LEGO volcano and then help them make it erupt! See below for a link to this cool LEGO STEM project!
So Many Cool Things You Can Build With LEGO
We started with the regular-size LEGO bricks at the age of 4 and haven’t looked back. Year after year, my son’s building skills have increased tremendously. His use of different types of pieces and his knowledge of how different pieces function is also blossoming.
I have compiled a collection of our most popular LEGO activities for kids. The best part is that most of these fun LEGO projects can be done with basic bricks. This means it is accessible to everyone! Plus, there are a ton of LEGO printables throughout… or grab the HUGE Brick Bundle below.
The Benefits of Building With LEGO
The benefits of LEGO are numerous. From the hours of free play to more complicated STEM projects, LEGO building has been encouraging learning through exploration for decades.
Our LEGO activities below cover so many areas of early learning that can go right through to the early teen years. Have you ever thought of…
- Using LEGO bricks to introduce coding
- Building letters with LEGO for writing practice
- Creating patterns with LEGO for math
- Building a LEGO Volcano for exploring chemical reactions
- Making a LEGO Catapult for exploring forces
- Putting together a LEGO tic tac toe game for afternoon playtime
- Use LEGO to draw emotions.
- And more!
Building with LEGO teaches us how to problem solve and use intricate details to make a design come alive.
On top of all of this, LEGO builds families and friends. It’s a dad passing his old space LEGO set on to his son or two friends helping to put together the latest Star Wars set. LEGO is our past, present, and future.
Get started with our free printable LEGO Challenge Calendar!
Grab our FREE LEGO challenge calendar to get you started 👇!
LEGO Activities For Preschoolers
Engaging preschoolers in LEGO activities can be a fun and educational way to promote creativity, fine motor skills, and problem-solving. Here are some LEGO activities suitable for preschoolers:
Free Building: Allow preschoolers to explore and build freely with basic LEGO bricks. This encourages creativity and imagination.
Color Sorting: Sort LEGO bricks by color and let preschoolers create patterns or build structures using specific color combinations.
Counting Games: Use LEGO bricks for counting activities. For example, ask them to build a tower with a specific number of bricks or count the total number of bricks in a structure.
Letter Recognition: Incorporate literacy by encouraging preschoolers to build letters using LEGO bricks. This can be a playful way to introduce them to the alphabet.
Storytelling: Have children create scenes or characters using LEGO bricks and then encourage them to tell a story based on their creations.
Duplo Stamping: Use larger Duplo bricks or regular sized bricks dipped in washable paint to create stamp art. Preschoolers can stamp on paper to make colorful patterns.
Building Challenges: Provide specific challenges, such as building the tallest tower or creating a specific animal. This promotes problem-solving and critical thinking.
Shape Exploration: Introduce different shapes using LEGO bricks. Have preschoolers build various shapes like squares, rectangles, triangles, and circles.
Collaborative Building: Encourage teamwork by having preschoolers work together on a larger project. This fosters social skills and cooperation.
Remember to ensure that the LEGO bricks used are age-appropriate, and always supervise preschoolers during playtime to ensure safety. Additionally, consider using LEGO Duplo.
Awesome LEGO Activities For Kids
LEGO LandLEGO Landmark Challenges (FREE Printable)marks
Build landmarks with LEGO! Take a trip to a famous landmark with your bin of LEGO! Carve out a few extra minutes to do some quick research on the landmark to learn more about it.
Build various habitats around the world with LEGO! Ocean, desert, forest, and more! Click here to grab the free LEGO habitats pack.
Hands down this LEGO Tower Game is the #1 most popular LEGO activity. Have fun with LEGO and learning! This printable board game is perfect for number recognition. Or can you make a LEGO tic tac toe game with your mini figures?
Free Printable LEGO Challenges for Kids
- LEGO Challenge Calendar (and others)
- LEGO Space Challenges
- LEGO Animal Challenges
- LEGO Pirate Challenges
- LEGO Monster Challenges
- LEGO Letters Activity
- LEGO Rainbow Challenges
- LEGO Ocean Challenges
- LEGO Robot Coloring Pages
- LEGO Math Challenges
- LEGO Mini Figures Emotions
- LEGO Charades Game
Download this LEGO activities sheet here.
LEGO Science and STEM Activities
Click on the links below to check out how we love to use our LEGO®
- LEGO CATAPULT
- LEGO LEPRECHAUN TRAP
- LEGO ZIP LINE
- LEGO VOLCANO
- LEGO MARBLE MAZE
- LEGO BALLOON CAR
- LEGO RUBBER BAND CAR
- BUILD A MAGNETIC LEGO TRAVEL KIT!
- LEGO TEN FRAME PRINTABLE
- LEGO CODING ACTIVITIES
- LEGO WATER EXPERIMENT
LEGO Art Projects
- LEGO Tesselation Puzzles
- LEGO Self Portrait Challenge
- LEGO Mondrian Art
- LEGO Monochromatic Mosaic
- LEGO Stamping
- LEGO Symetrey
- LEGO Faces Emotions Drawing
Seasonal LEGO Challenge Cards
- Fall LEGO Challenge Cards
- Halloween LEGO Challenge Cards
- Thanksgiving LEGO Challenge Cards
- Christmas LEGO Challenge Cards
- Valentine’s Day LEGO Challenge Cards
- Winter LEGO Challenge Cards
- St Patrick’s Day LEGO Challenge Cards
- Spring LEGO Challenge Cards
- Earth Day LEGO Challenge Cards
- Easter LEGO Challenge Cards
Printable LEGO Brick Building Project Pack
All of our printable LEGO challenges as well as exclusive activities. Plus, you will be sent a new link anytime this bundle is updated.
- 10O+ Brick theme learning activities in an e-book guide using the bricks you have on hand! Activities include literacy, math, science, art, STEM, and more!
- Brick STEM activity challenges complete with instructions and examples such as a marble run, catapult, balloon car, and more.
- Brick Building STEM Challenges and Task Cards keep kids busy! Includes animals, pirates, space, and monsters!
- Landmark Challenge Cards: Virtual tours and facts to get kids building and exploring the world.
- Habitat Challenge Cards: Take the challenge and build your own creative animals in their habitats
- Brick theme I-Spy and Bingo games are perfect for game day!
- Screen-free coding activities with a brick theme. Learn about algorithms and binary code!
- Explore mini-fig emotions and much more.
- A complete year of Brick themed seasonal and holiday challenges and task cards
- Brick Building Early learning pack filled with letters, numbers, and shapes!