Too much snow or not enough snow? It doesn’t matter when you know how to make fake snow! Treat the kids to an indoor snowman building session or fun winter sensory play with this super easy to make snow recipe! If you haven’t tried our fake snow slime yet, put it one list. There’s all kinds of fun sensory play to try with the kids this season.
PERFECT WINTER SENSORY PLAY FOR KIDS
We love science, but we also love our sensory play! Usually we make tons of slime including a fake snow slime, but this time we have something different to share with you. Learn how to make fake snow with common kitchen ingredients.
Sensory play is perfect for kids of all ages including their grown ups! Make sure to check out all our winter slime ideas and our non-slime winter sensory play ideas! We love getting hands on with our projects.
More fun winter science ideas we have enjoyed this week include:
Click on each of the links below to find more fun ways to explore winter even if it isn’t winter outside!
- Learning how to make frost on a can,
- Engineering our own snowball launcher for indoor snowball fights,
- Creating a winter snow storm in a jar,
- Exploring how polar bears stay warm,
- Fishing for ice cubes indoors!
- Creating a snowflake salt painting.
- Whipping up some snow slime.
HOW TO MAKE FAKE SNOW SUPPLIES AND INSTRUCTIONS
Making fake snow can get a little messy with little hands helping out, so be prepared for spills. You can also set the tray on top of a dollar store shower curtain either on a table or on the floor.
Large tray (cookie sheet works)
Cookie Cutters, Plastic Snowflakes, Pinecones
Learn how to make your very own fake snow for less then $2!
Pour, mix, and crumble till the perfect snowy consistency that does’t need a pair of gloves to enjoy!
Add snowflake or other winter theme cookie cutters to your fluffy fake snow! Build a winter scene with arctic animals and explore polar bear science with our blubber science experiment!
We have always enjoyed a good homemade cloud dough (including hot chocolate cloud dough), but this cool fake snow is an awesome screen free activity for any winter activity.
HOW TO MAKE FAKE SNOW STEP BY STEP
You can also mix this in a bowl and transfer to a tray afterward. The recipe calls for a 1:1 ratio of baking soda to cornstarch.
- Start by pouring equal amounts of cornstarch and baking soda onto the tray or into a bowl. You can also measure if that works best for you.
- Mix the baking soda and cornstarch with your fingers.
- Next, you want to add just enough water so that when you squeeze some of the mixtures in your hands, you can form a ball!
- Gently loosen any clumps until your fake snow looks just like real snow.
Make sure to add the water very slowly. However, if you end up with a mixture that’s too runny, simply add a bit more of the baking soda and cornstarch mixture.
Have you ever made oobleck, a Non-Newtonian fluid? It’s a mixture with just cornstarch and water and a sensory/science activity every kid needs to try once!
LEARN HOW TO MAKE FAKE SNOW ANY DAY OF THE YEAR!
See more playful Winter Science Activities right here. Click on photo below to get started.