Santa needs a sleigh in order to make his big night rounds. But what happens if Santa’s sleigh is down for repairs with no time to spare? He needs a new one of course, and that’s where your kids come into the picture! Are they up for this Santa STEM activity challenge complete with printable? Will they be able to build Santa a new sleigh in time? Holiday theme STEM is exciting for kids.
SANTA STEM ACTIVITY CHALLENGE: BUILD A SLEIGH!
CHRISTMAS STEM CHALLENGES
Open-ended STEM activities like this Santa’s Sleigh building challenge are perfect for kids who love to design, build, and test new inventions! Encourage your young engineer with clever STEM challenges perfect for the season. Will they choose candy canes for sled runners?
I always like to put together a STEM kit or tinker kit for each season or holiday. This season of course we have a Christmas STEM kit filled with fun but inexpensive supplies to go along with our Christmas theme STEM challenges and activities.
Now’s a great time to introduce the DESIGN PROCESS to your kids! It’s a 6 step process that helps kids work through their challenges to come up with their results whether or not those results are a failure or a success.
Remember, it’s ok to not get it right the first time. Good ideas take tweaking, designing and re-designing, testing and re-testing to get it right. Often it’s from our failures that we find success. STEM provides incredibly valuable life lessons for kids that you need to be aware of!
You will also want to assemble a simple Christmas STEM kit or tinker kit to add to this STEM activity. I head to the dollar store and look around the house for supplies! This can be fun, simple, and frugal.
LET’S GET STARTED WITH OUR SANTA STEM ACTIVITY!
How about we go through the design steps together to get some ideas. Print out the sheet below as encouragement for your kids!
- ASK! What’s the problem that needs to be solved? That’s pretty easy! We need to build Santa a new sleigh since his current sleigh is out of commission.
- THINK! What are some alternatives for Santa to use this Christmas Eve? What kind of sleigh is best for Santa? Do some research on Santa and his sleigh. Find some ideas here.
- DESIGN! Use our printable sheets below to map out your ideas, sketch a design.
- BUILD! Put that awesome design into action and build it. Gather supplies and get to work.
- TEST! Maybe you could think of ways to test the sleigh. How many presents can it hold?
- IMPROVE! Maybe your sleigh didn’t hold as many presents as you hoped? Try again and create a bigger or stronger design,
Add this design process sheet to your activity to guide your kids as they come up with cool ideas for Santa’s sleigh! Click on the black download button just below it.
This Santa STEM activity is the perfect way to fit in a fun afternoon activity and a little hands-on learning. I love how learning opportunities can present themselves in so many ways.
You can easily use this Christmas STEM challenge at home, in the classroom, or with a youth group for an awesome holiday activity. Also keep in mind that it’s perfect for individuals, 2 person teams, or small groups to work on together!
CREATE YOUR OWN SANTA STEM ACTIVITY CHALLENGE FOR A FUN HOLIDAY SEASON!
More awesome Santa ideas to get the kids excited for Christmas! We have challenges, experiments, and fun activities.
Click on the pictures below to learn more about each great idea!