Winter can be a long, cold, and dark season! One fun day everyone looks forward to is Groundhog Day. Will he or won’t he? Of course, it doesn’t really matter either way, but it’s a fun way to break up the season. Why not bring these simple Groundhog Day STEM activities to the table to brighten the day!
GROUNDHOG DAY ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
GROUNDHOG DAY ACTIVITIES
Use special occasions like Groundhog Day as a way to try out awesome theme science and STEM activities with your kids at home or in the classroom. These printable Groundhog Day STEM Activity Cards go along with our exploring light and shadows activity (free printable pack too!) All you need to do is print, cut, and enjoy!
Many of these free printable STEM activities are open for interpretation, imagination, and creativity. That’s a big part of what STEM is all about! Ask a question, come up with solutions, design and test and retest!
ALSO CHECK OUT: STEM Resources For Parents & Teachers
Fun Groundhog Day STEM Activities!
Explore the changing seasons with STEM. These free monthly theme STEM activities are perfect for engaging kids in science, technology, engineering, and math as they complete fun challenges!
You need easy ideas for the kids right?
I want these printable Groundhog Day STEM activity cards to be a simple way to have fun with your kids. They can be used in the classroom as easily as they can be used at home. Print, cut, and laminate to use over and over again.
What do STEM challenges look like?
STEM challenges are usually open-ended suggestions to solve a problem or challenge that is meant to get your kids thinking about and using the design process?
What’s the design process? I’m glad you asked! In many ways, it’s a series of steps an engineer, inventor, or scientist would go through when trying to solve a problem. You can read more about that here with quick STEM challenges.
STEM Challenges Set Up
Mostly, you have the opportunity to use what you have and let your kids get creative with simple materials.
My pro-tip is to grab a large, clean, and clear plastic tote or bin. Every time you come across a cool item you would normally toss into recycling, toss it in the bin instead. This goes the same for packaging materials and items you may otherwise throw away.
Standard STEM materials to save include:
- paper towel tubes
- toilet roll tubes
- plastic bottles
- tin cans (clean, smooth edges)
- old CDs
- cereal boxes, oatmeal containers
- bubble wrap
- packing peanuts
Definitely make sure you have:
- glue and tape
- markers and pencils
- rulers and measuring tape
- recycled goods bin
- non-recycled goods bin
Plus, you can add seasonal items and make up an inexpensive winter theme tinkering kit.
Also, read about STEM on a budget for more ideas.
Want to explore STEM with the groundhog this month?
CLICK HERE: FREE GROUNDHOG DAY ACTIVITY
GET THE COMPLETE GROUNDHOG DAY STEM PACK TODAY!!
Our new high-quality complete Groundhog Day STEM pack is designed for kids in early elementary grades, but can also be used for a wide variety of learning abilities with more or less adult support!
THE COMPLETE GROUNDHOG DAY STEM PACK INCLUDES:
- 8+ Groundhog Day activities and projects for kids that are easy to set up and fit into the time you have available, even if it’s limited!
- Printable Groundhog theme STEM challenges that are simple but engaging for home or classroom. Perfect for K-2 and beyond and adaptable to many skill levels.
- Simple light theme science explanations and activities include fun experiments, projects, and simple vocabulary cards. Print and make animal silhouette puppets to explore shadows!
- Easy to gather supplies makes these STEM activities ideal when you have limited resources available. Perfect for kids in the classroom or for family time at home.
- Build a burrow STEM activities are a fun way to explore the groundhog’s den and create one of your own.
- Groundhog Day writing and graphing activities to explore writing about predictions, graphing predictions, and more!