When I think of the fall season, the 5 senses come to mind right away! Just stop for a moment reading this, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and think about all the feelings and words that come to mind when October rolls around…
Pumpkin spice and everything nice, crisp cool air and cozy sweaters, colorful fall leaves and the crunching sound they make under your feet, digging out pumpkin guts, and apple crisp…
Those are a few of mine to get you started! Fall is full of the 5 senses, so today we have a fun printable, somewhat crafty fall five senses activity you can use with the kiddos right up to Thanksgiving.
FALL 5 SENSES ACTIVITY IDEAS FOR KIDS
Our favorite fall activities always start with a hike in the woods, a few pinecones in the pocket, and a good dose of fresh air and brilliant color.
Here, we think simple science can also be a delight for the senses. Look around you and share some simple ways to introduce the 5 senses to your kids this fall season! I bet you will find so many ways to share it immediately!
Years ago we set up this super simple discovery table to explore the senses. This makes a perfect 5 senses activities for preschoolers and you can easily give it a fall theme. The tray I used is one of my preschool activity favorites.
Fall is am amazing time to explore the sense of smell, touch, taste, sight, and sound. From pumpkin picking to pie tasting and beyond. What are the everyday things you are doing that include one or more of the senses? Make sure to point them out as you go!
WHAT ARE THE 5 SENSES?
If you are going to explore fall and 5 senses, you need to know what they are first! The 5 senses include touch, taste, sound, sight, and smell. These concepts are super easy to explore with junior scientists because we use our 5 senses every day in many ways.
The senses are how we explore and learn about the world around us. Textures and colors ignite our senses of touch and sight. New foods and tasty goodies explore our sense of taste, even if they aren’t so tasty. Smells like peppermint or cinnamon bring back memories or make us feel more in tune with the season or holiday.
SIMPLE WAYS TO EXPLORE THE SENSES
Here’s a simple list of ways to explore the best of the fall season and the five senses with kids of all ages.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt and think about how many things you can point out that fit each of the 5 senses! Acorns falling, leaves crunching, rough pinecones, fiery red leaves, and the smell of earth! Call out the senses as you walk along.
- Let’s not eat any of the things we see in nature, but why not pack freshly picked, crunchy, juicy apples! Have you explored apples with the 5 senses yet? Have you visited an apple orchard yet? There’s so much to see, hear, feel, taste, and smell!
- Clean out a pumpkin! This is a classic activity that you probably just do anyway because it’s a fall tradition! You can set up a pumpkin investigation tray, make a pumpkin sensory squish bag, or make slime right inside the pumpkin using all the guts. A great conversation surrounding this simple activity is to incorporate the 5 senses. Maybe a pumpkin treat can be added!
- For playtime and hands-on learning, you can easily make scented sensory play such as our apple playdough, applesauce oobleck, pumpkin playdough, cinnamon slime, or pumpkin cloud dough. We also have many options for edible play recipes.
- If you are looking ahead to the Christmas holiday, you won’t want to miss our Christmas Scents Activity and the 5 Senses section. Or check out Santa’s 5 Senses Lab for kid-friendly ideas.
FREE FALL 5 SENSES ACTIVITY PACK
This simple activity can be shared with a variety of age groups with more or less assistance. Kids can add their own ways to explore the fall season through the senses and get creative with artistic touches!
Click here or on the image below to grab your Mini Fall 5 Senses Pack
MORE 5 SENSES ACTIVITIES
- Preschool 5 Senses Activity Table or Tray
- Pop Rocks and the 5 Senses
- Candy Tasting 5 Senses Activity
- Peeps 5 Senses for Easter
- Apples and the 5 Senses
EASY FALL 5 SENSES FOR PRESCHOOL AND BEYOND
Dig into more fall science with easy to do activities that involve a few of the 5 senses!